Whether you’ve tried physical therapy before or you’re looking into it for the first time, we understand you may have questions about Life’s Work and physical therapy in general. We hope you find the information you’re looking for below. You can also read more about what to expect when you make an appointment, or give us a call at 503-295-2585. We’d love to answer any questions you have!
What conditions can you treat?
At Life’s Work, we’re experts at treating all parts of your body from your head to your toes. We work with patients who have injured themselves yesterday and also with people who have more long-standing problems. Many of our patients have failed traditional physical therapy or other treatments and have found great success at Life’s Work.
We do extremely detailed physical evaluations and examine how your body is functioning as a whole. This allows us to identify the real underlying issues. Life’s Work has many specialized programs, all of which are evidence-based:
- Biopsychosocial program for orthopedic evaluation, treatment, and secondary prevention
- Headache evaluation and treatment program
- Spinal evaluation and treatment (includes neck, thorax, lower back and sacroiliac regions)
- Whiplash Associated Disorders (MVA and non-MVA)
- Return to work program (for Workers’ Comp cases)
- TMD (temporomandibular muscle disorder) program
- Women’s health program: pregnancy and postpartum
- Stabilization programs for shoulders, lumbo-pelvic, knees, and cervical spine
- Knee program: pre-op, post-op, and non-operative
- All head neck, and jaw injuries
- Back and Sacroiliac injuries
- Injuries in the upper extremities (shoulders, arms, wrists, and hands)
- Injuries in the lower extremities (hips, knees, feet, and ankles)
- Lifestyle Medicine program: preventative physical therapy care
- Dance Physical Therapy program
- Ergonomic evaluations for individuals and businesses
How do I find the right physical therapist?
A good physical therapist can have a huge positive impact on your quality of life. Unfortunately, too many people have bad experiences because their physical therapist failed to look beyond surface-level symptoms. A great physical therapist understands how your body works as a system and recommends treatments that address all problems, not just one.
Once you find a good physical therapist, keep them on your healthcare team throughout your life. A great physical therapist can help you stay active and age gracefully. Learn more about how to choose a great PT and why it’s important.
When you work with any of the physical therapists at Life’s Work, you will:
- Meet with your therapist personally for every visit
- Be treated with orthopedic manual therapy to solve physical problems
- Actively participate in developing your personalized treatment plan (no one-size-fits-all solutions)
Do I need to see my doctor or obtain a prescription for physical therapy before I can be seen?
You can come to physical therapy directly. We will communicate with your physician after your first visit.
Is physical therapy covered by my insurance company?
Physical therapy is often included under medical coverage. You can either check with your plan administrator or call us directly at 503-295-2585. We would be glad to verify your eligibility and go over your physical therapy benefits in detail with you.
If you don’t have insurance, or your plan doesn’t cover physical therapy, we offer a significant discount for paying at the time of service. Please give our clinic a call for more details.
Preparing for Your Appointment
We are proud to provide incredible customer service, beginning with your first phone call. Whether you’re ready to schedule an appointment or you just have a few questions, we’re here to help. To get started, please choose the most convenient of our three locations and give us a call or contact us online .
What should I wear?
Wear loose, comfortable clothing that is not restrictive. If you have a lower extremity problem please wear shorts. For back and upper extremity problems please wear either a tank or sports bra for women. Please be dressed and ready before your appointment time.
Do you have parking near the clinic?
Yes, we have different parking options for each location.
NE Portland Location
There is underground parking at our clinic on NE Multnomah Street, and a surface lot on the corner of 7th Ave. and Multnomah. We validate one hour of parking for each of these options. There is metered street parking available around the building as well.